(NB-Moncton-Station)
City officials say a new 59-million-dollar R-C-M-P station in downtown Moncton, New Brunswick, is nearing completion.
The building is about 10 million dollars over budget and two years late.
The increased costs are partially due to the cost of materials rising during the pandemic.
Once occupied, the station will house an emergency dispatch centre, up to 376 officers and civilian staff and thousands of paper court files.
Codiac Regional R-C-M-P’s Superintendent Benoit Jolette has not given a specific date for officers to move in.
(CBC News)
—
(NS-River-Philip-Fatal)
Police in northern Nova Scotia are investigating a single-vehicle crash that claimed the life of a 28-year-old man from Springhill.
The Mounties in Cumberland County say the crash was reported Saturday night from Highway 321 near River Philip.
Police say a Honda Civic veered off the road and slammed into a culvert.
The driver, who was the only person in the car, was pronounced dead in hospital.
(The Canadian Press)
—
(NS-Carney-Submarines)
Prime Minister Mark Carney is expected to be in Halifax today to announce a decision on buying a new submarine fleet.
C-T-V News says industry and government sources have confirmed Carney will make the announcement this afternoon before heading to a NATO meeting in Turkey.
The Royal Canadian Navy has been looking into buying subs from either a German-Norwegian consortium or a South Korean company.
The navy wants to buy 12 submarines, a purchase that is expected to cost 100-billion over the next 30 to 50 years.
(CTV News)
—
(NS-Construction-Battalion)
The first and largest all-Black military unit in Canadian history marked its 110th anniversary this weekend.
The No. 2 Construction Battalion was formed on July 5th, 1916, during the First World War and headquartered out of Pictou and Truro, in Nova Scotia.
Veterans Affairs Minister Jill McKnight said many Black Canadians volunteered for service in the First World War, despite facing widespread discrimination.
Hundreds of Black men in Canada were turned away when they volunteered to fight overseas in 1914 because they weren’t wanted in what was considered a white man’s war.
Following two years of protests, the Canadian military was granted approval in 1916 to establish the segregated, non-combat No. 2 Construction Battalion.
(CTV/The Canadian Press)
—
(PEI-Greens-Lead)
A new poll suggests the Green Party in P-E-I was the preferred choice of voters surveyed last month.
The online survey of 147 adult Islanders was conducted by Narrative Research between June 10th and June 17th.
The poll asked respondents how they would vote if an election were held today — and the Green Party was the top choice at 40 per cent.
The results also showed that among those surveyed, Green Leader Matt MacFarlane was their top choice for premier.
(CBC News)
—
(NL-Labrador-Fire)
Crews battling wildfires near Labrador City are bracing for hot, dry conditions this week.
A social media post from the town yesterday said officials brought in more firefighters and equipment in anticipation of the weather.
The town says crews on the ground and in the air are working hard to beat back the fires, particularly in the Walsh River cabin area, where an evacuation order is in place.
Environment Canada is calling for sun and temperatures reaching or exceeding 25 degrees Celsius today and tomorrow in Labrador City.
(The Canadian Press)
—
(Atlantic Update by The Canadian Press)

















