Augut 19

(NB-Cold-Case)

Police in Moncton say they’re still trying to find a 66-year-old woman four years after she went missing.

Angela Breau was last seen on August 6th, 2022 at an Elmwood Drive residence and was reported missing about a week later.

The next month search and rescue teams scoured the area.

She’s about five-foot-nine, 160 pounds with dark hair and brown eyes.

(CTV News)
—–
(NB-Supportive-Housing)

Fourteen supportive housing units are set to open in Saint John, New Brunswick, aimed at helping vulnerable young people avoid homelessness.

The project is backed by 1.1-million dollars from the New Brunswick Housing Corporation, 3.4-million dollars from Ottawa and 145-thousand dollars from the city.

The one-bedroom units will include rent subsidies, keeping tenants’ payments to no more than 30 per cent of their income.

Residents will also be given on-site support as they work toward longer-term housing options. 

(The Canadian Press)
—-
(NB-Border-Investigation)

New Brunswick R-C-M-P are trying to identify two people it says were involved in suspicious activity along the Canada -U-S border.

They say the two men may have walked across a train trestle in the Saint-Leonard area to illegally cross into Maine and return to Canada.

Police say the incidents happened on May 8th, 15th and 30th.

Anybody with information is asked to contact the R-C-M-P.

(The Canadian Press)

(Halifax-US-Threats)

A new charge has been laid against the 54-year-old man accused of making a bomb threat against the U-S Consulate in Halifax earlier this month.

Ali Assakereh is now charged with threatening the life of an internationally protected person, along with uttering threats and public mischief.

The R-C-M-P says police found a vehicle linked to Assakereh with a propane tank and containers believed to hold flammable liquids.

The threat shut down a large section of downtown Halifax, and Assakereh remains in custody ahead of a court appearance. 

(The Canadian Press)
—–

(NS-Power-Cyberattack)

Nova Scotia Power officials say they don’t know why a digital copy of almost all customer information collected over three decades was not automatically deleted as intended.

Banking information, social insurance numbers and other data belonging to hundreds of thousands of customers, was accessed in a March 2025 cyberattack on the company.

Executive Blake Williams said Monday that Nova Scotia Power has mechanisms to automatically delete certain data.

That didn’t happen in this case, and he said the utility isn’t sure why.

(The Canadian Press)

(NS-Emergency-Shelter-Dispute)

The town of New Glasgow in central Nova Scotia is calling on the provincial government to shut down a local homeless shelter.

Town Council passed a unanimous motion Monday asking the province to shut down the Northstar Shelter immediately.

The town issued a statement saying the emergency shelter is not addressing the complex needs of people experiencing chronic homelessness and addictions.

The town says it wants to work with the province make sure people leaving the shelter receive support for finding housing and dealing with mental health and addictions.

(CTV News)

Share:

Recent Posts

We believe in the importance of providing independent local journalism to Sackville and the surrounding area. Please consider supporting our local stories, reporting and interviews by becoming a monthly sustainer or by making a one-time donation.

Never miss a story.
Get CHMA's local news,
stories and interviews in your inbox.