—
(NB-Fredericton-Police-Charges)
Fredericton police say sexual assault and child sexual abuse charges against a former auxiliary volunteer are being withdrawn.
The man was arrested in March of last year and charged following an investigation by the Fredericton Police Force’s Special Crimes Unit.
Police say the New Brunswick Crown Prosecutor’s Office has advised that the charges against the man will be withdrawn following a post-charge approval reassessment.
The man was a volunteer member of the Fredericton Police Force Auxiliary between 2010 and 2015. (CTV News)
—
(NB-Shooting-Incident-Sentencing)
A Moncton man and Halifax man have been sentenced for a shooting in New Brunswick last year.
R-C-M-P say two people were taken to hospital on April 19th, 2025, after a person fired at a moving vehicle in Moncton.
Two suspects were arrested later that day.
The Mounties say a 27-year-old suspect was charged with aggravated assault and firearms offences while the Halifax man was charged with discharging a prohibited firearm with intent and accessory after the fact.
Both were sentenced on June 24th, with the Halifax man receiving six years in prison and the Moncton man sentenced to two years.
(The Canadian Press)
(NS-Indigenous-Lobster-Battle)
A Nova Scotia judge says the federal government must handle an Indigenous lobster fishing dispute.
Nova Scotia Supreme Court Justice Ann Smith says the court lacks jurisdiction for the Unified Fisheries Conservation Alliance to proceed with its claim against the Sipekne’katik (sah-BAY’-ghen-nah-gah-dee) First Nation.
The non-profit alliance argued the First Nation has engaged in unlawful commercial lobster fishing in St. Mary’s Bay since 2010 by ignoring federal rules and thus negatively impacting lobster stocks.
The First Nation has long argued treaty rights allow it to commercially fish for lobster without federal permits.
(The Canadian Press)
—
(NS-Viola-Desmond-Shelter)
A homeless shelter in New Glasgow has changed its name after a request by the family of Viola Desmond.
Previously known as Viola’s Place, the shelter was named after the late civil rights activist and will now be known as Northstar Shelter and Support Services.
The shelter has received public complaints recently due to disturbances, thefts and drug use around the property.
Desmond’s brother-in-law Joe Robson says the family was never consulted before the shelter was named after her in 2018 and sees the negative attention it has been receiving as a slur on the family name.
(CBC News Nova Scotia)
—
(PEI-Paramedics-Backfill)
New Brunswick paramedics are set to fill in for colleagues in P-E-I in the aftermath of a fatal crash that killed two emergency workers.
Two Health P-E-I paramedics died on Tuesday when their ambulance collided with a transport truck in rural New Brunswick, leaving their colleagues in mourning.
The director of the Paramedic Association of New Brunswick says members will be issued 30-day courtesy licences in P-E-I so they can volunteer on the Island during their time off.
Chris Hood says the willingness of so many paramedics to help out their colleagues shows how tight-knit the sector is in the Maritimes. (The Canadian Press)
—
(NL-Drug-Trafficking)
A 59-year-old man is facing charges as part of a drug trafficking investigation in Newfoundland and Labrador’s capital city.
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary says search warrants carried out at two properties in St. John’s turned up around point-seven-five kilograms of cocaine and one kilogram of hashish.
Police say prescription pills, contraband cigarettes, cash and drug paraphernalia were also seized.
The suspect has been released with charges pending.
(The Canadian Press)
















