July 23

(NB-Public-Housing)

The New Brunswick government is adding new public housing units in Fredericton and Oromocto.

The provincial government says a 10-unit complex in Fredericton has eight three-bedroom and two two-bedroom units and will be ready for move-in in the coming weeks.

Minister David Hickey with the New Brunswick Housing Corporation says this project and the others will rebuild the foundation of affordable housing New Brunswickers need.

Hickey also says the housing corporation bought three two-bedroom townhouses in Oromocto.

(The Canadian Press)

(Premiers-Meeting) (Watch for dating)

Canada’s 13 premiers continued their talks yesterday during the second day of their Council of the Federation meeting in Charlottetown, P-E-I.

Recent trade war escalations with the U-S [was] expected to be the main topic of their conversations [yesterday].

But P-E-I Premier Rob Lantz says they will focus on issues that are close to home like health care and energy security.

New Brunswick Premier Susan Holt says the premiers are calling on the federal government to boost its contribution to health care funding back to a 50-50 split.

This comes as health advocate groups are warning that Canada’s rapidly aging population has strained the country’s health care system.

(The Canadian Press)

(NB-Saint-John-Crime)

The crime severity index of Saint John, New Brunswick saw the biggest increase of any Canadian city last year.

Statistics Canada says the index, which measures the volume and severity of crime, climbed by 20 points.

New Brunswick was the only province in the country to see its score increase.

The severity index for the entire province was up six per cent.

(CTV News)

(Premiers-Health-Protest)

A health advocacy group says the federal government must boost health care funding with strings attached.

Friends of Medicare rallied today in front of a hotel in P-E-I, where Canada’s premiers gathered to talk about health care and other issues.

The group was protesting Alberta’s plans to allow some surgeons to charge patients for optional procedures like hip and knee replacements outside their publicly-funded system.

The group’s director Chris Galloway says Ottawa shouldn’t give a blank check to provinces like Alberta, which he says is dismantling the public health system.

(The Canadian Press)

(NL-Home-Invasion)

Police in Newfoundland and Labrador say they have arrested a third suspect in connection with a home invasion and assault that happened in Harbour Grace early this month.

Police say three suspects broke into a home on July 3rd and a person who was inside was injured with a weapon and had to be taken to hospital.

Investigators believe this was a targeted incident and say the suspects and the victim knew each other.

Two suspects were arrested earlier this month and the third suspect, who was arrested Monday, is facing charges of robbery, breaking and entering and aggravated assault.

(The Canadian Press)

Share:

Recent Posts

We believe in the importance of providing independent local journalism to Sackville and the surrounding area. Please consider supporting our local stories, reporting and interviews by becoming a monthly sustainer or by making a one-time donation.

Never miss a story.
Get CHMA's local news,
stories and interviews in your inbox.